07 September 2008

True Blood S1 E01 Review

HBO's True Blood
Season 1
Episode 01: Strange Blood
Original Air Date: September 7, 2008

Episode Review::

If you had asked me a month ago, I would have told you how skeptical I was about this show. I've been a fan of the books for about a year and I was immediately drawn into Charlaine Harris' world. Then I heard the news that HBO was turning it into a television series. At first I was like, "I don't know about this." Then I thought, "Hold on, its HBO which means censorship will not be an issue. But will they at least be slightly faithful to the series?" That was left to be seen.

I can happily say that Alan Ball did stay faithful and I want more!

Episode 01: Strange Love gives us a great opening to the series and the characters. Anna Paquin has Sookie down. Small mannerisms and facial movements really made me believe she was this character. Jason's character was shown to be the horn-dog he is with maybe a little to long cut up sex scenes. Tara has been changed comparatively with the novel. In the tv series, she plays more of the pivotal best friend character with a big mouth and a strong point of view. Some times I felt she was a little over the top, but over the series I see her calming down. Sam was also perfect, the sweet, protective, 'other' guy. Can't wait for more of his inspiring talks with Sookie! And of course...Bill. Now, I am Team Eric all the way so I will try not to be judgmental. Bill was... Bill in all his brooding, country boy turned vampire angst. Ball seems to be bringing Bill's darker side out a little more in the series which might be a good thing... we shall see.

This episode introduces us to many other minor characters, but the story itself submerges us into this small town of Bon Temps, Louisiana, out in the middle of no where. A place where everyone knows everyone, the internet is not readily available, and the local watering hole aka Merlotte's Bar and Grill is where everyone congregates at the end of the day.

Overall, the episode was a good first episode, but I would have cut one of the sex scenes and added in more background on Sookie. But they ended the episode at the right spot, so I can't wait for next Sunday.

Grade: B

No comments: