03 September 2008

When you become a history major, reading for fun takes a step back

I'm into my second week of my third year at USF. My first two years were spent as a biomedical sciences major. Lets just say, my academic career was in the shambles and my personal life was suffering. Then from the advice of my mother (who knows me better than any one) and my best friend Stephanie (who is my other half), I decided to give up the war and change my major.

I will forever be grateful for the that day. The day I was sitting in my car, waiting for my Chemistry 2 class to begin. We had a test that day and I was cramming. Did I also mention this was the third time I was taking this class... and now at a community college where it was supposed to be easier? I guess not. I ended up calling my mother after I bombed that test to tell her I was changing my major to history. Her response was, "FINALLY!" I've never regretted it since.

Now I am an ancient history and classics double major. Which means you have any questions about Spartans 300 didn't cover or questions about gladiators Russel Crowe forgot to portray, I'm your girl.

However, my change in major has also changed the amount of reading I have to do for my classes each night. Lets just say, its a lot. Which, in turns, means I am going to have less time to write and read for myself. When I have the time to spare, I have a lot of reviews I need to write up.

For instance, I finally finished the Southern Vampire Series starring Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris. It was eight books in all and I managed to finish them in a week. What can I say, I'm a fast reader.... a book a day reader. I hope to have that finished and up soon. With there being eight books, its going to take some time. Below is the cover of the last. Click on the image to be linked to the official web site of the writer Mrs. Harris.


It is also the beginning of the fall television season which means... (drum roll please) New episodes of Bones, Heroes, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and Prison Break and completely new shows like Fringe, My Own Worst Enemy, and True Blood (and HBO show which happens to be based on the first of the Sookie Stackhouse novels... awesome right!). Thus, Sunday-Wednesday nights I shall be glued to my television (or Jenna's) to watch an hour or more of these awesome shows.

Now writing... well... since I've been reading so many vampire and supernatural novels naturally I have my own supernatural world forming in my head. I originally started writing from the perspective of my male character, Noah, but after a while I found my female character, Cornelia, was taking over. Maybe because she is the more dynamic character and is turning out to be a lot of fun? Possibly. But as they say, you write what you know and I know vampires and sarcastic women. Lets face it... I am one! I'm still in the developing stages, but its turning out to be very interesting.

Tune in for more... when I get around to it... probably next weekend when I am at home and never do homework... hum... I have a plan!

No comments: